City Sewers Current Construction
3rd Street and Mesa Street Sewer Rehabilitation Project
This sewer pipe rehabilitation project began in early 2012 in San Pedro. The project area is bounded by W. Summerland Ave. to the north, Sampson Way to the east, 7th St. to the south, and Miraleste Dr. to the west.
- About 4.1 miles of sewer pipes ranging from 8-inch to 12-inch in diameter will be rehabilitated or removed and replaced and 24 maintenance holes will be installed.
- Construction period: early 2012 through spring 2013. Weather or other circumstances could shift the work schedule. Neighbors will be informed as conditions warrant.
- Construction within the City of Los Angeles will generally take place Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., and on major streets from 9:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. to minimize traffic impacts.
- Construction Cost: $602,800
- Construction methods include sewer pipe lining (rehabilitates defective sewers without excavation and surface disruption), and sewer pipe removal and replacement (performed by “open cut” or trenching, a method that is typically used where sewers are shallow).
- In order to minimize disruption on your street, most of the construction work at each location will be completed in about 5-10 business days.
- Trucks and other equipment such as pipes will be used during construction, and you may see open trench excavation and debris removal.
- Dust control will be provided in all project areas.
- Enclosures or other barriers will be used in construction areas wherever necessary for public safety.
- Flaggers will be used where traffic is impacted.
- Trash pickup, deliveries, access to businesses and residential driveways will be maintained.
- Parking may be temporarily restricted in some areas, and signs will be posted in advance telling you where and when.
- You will be notified 24-48 hours in advance whenever sewer services may be temporarily interrupted.